Sunday, February 8, 2015

Review: Belif First Aid Overnight Brightening Mask


Finally getting to review the last two products that I bought from the Korean brand "Belif." My face always has this unhealthy dark tone, kind of like I haven't had adequate sleep and food for a week, even though I've been sleeping and eating perfectly fine. I also have some red spots and bumps every once in awhile. That's why I always need to use a brightening cream. So I decided to try this brand's brightening product.

Description (from their official pamphlet):
  • Formulated with black truffle, one of the world's finest delicacies, along with amber, pearl, and gold powder capsules, and completed with Napiers white formula, this overnight brightening mask brings transparency and radiance to the skin while you sleep
  • After toning, apply a thin layer to the face avoiding the eye and mouth area. Leave it on overnight and wash off with water or foaming cleanser in the morning
My impression:

For those who are unfamiliar with Belif (like I was), this is a little blurb from their official pamphlet that contains information on all their products from each product line:

Belif is a "true herbal cosmetic" brand, delivering the highest value and quality based on processes and philosophy created by a UK herbalist, Duncan Napier, 150 years ago. Belief, inheriting Scottish herbalist Duncan Napier's 150 year old philosophy, has developed tailored products for today's skin concerns. Belief uses only essential ingredients, lists them all honestly and does not use flashy packaging. 

I basically use this as my night cream. It's quite sticky so the few times when I grabbed too much I got some plugged pores. So I either have to put it on ~30 minutes before I go to bed to make sure some of it absorbs so the stickiness goes away, or I have to err on the side of caution and use a small amount.

It also comes in a jar, which I really didn't like. This is the case with all Belif's masks actually. Since this is a mask, I only use it when I feel like my face needs some extra brightening. I have to use a spatula every time since this sticky moist cream will be harvesting bacteria for sure if I dipped my fingers in.

I think this mask smoothed out the small bumps on my face. It also took away the unevenness in skin tone by calming the little red spots. But my face didn't look radiant at all. It was the same unhealthy tanned colour as it was before I headed to bed. So I would say that this evens my skin, but it does not brighten.

Coupled with the fact that it comes in an unhygienic jar, the inconvenience of me having to find a spatula to scoop it out every time, and the sticky texture clogging up my pores if I use just a bit too much, I won't be buying this again. My long love Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Sleeping Mask does a better job brightening, has a less sticky texture, and comes in a hygienic tube for my convenience. I'll be sticking to that one.

Summary:

Evens out the red dots and bumps, giving me nice smoothed out skin
Does not brighten, my face did not look more radiant
$23 for 50ml on koreadepart.com

Quality: 2.5/5 because it evens out my skin tone well but does not brighten

Value: 3/5 because 50ml will last you forever since you can't put that much on due to its sticky texture..

Repurchase? Nope, I need something that brightens!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I stumbled upon this post as I was looking at reviews for Belif products. This is the first post I've read of yours so I'm not too familiar with your skin/diet background. I, too, had the same problem of dull, dark, non-radiant, and occasionally blemished skin. However I saw a significant difference in the past two years when I started to monitor the food and drinks I was consuming. In short, take some time whenever you're free to read about balancing the pH level in your body when you have a chance. I'm sure you will begin to see changes and won't have to solely rely on products to cure your skin problems. Of course we all get a breakout, but a good diet is important too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I should probably start paying attention to my diet too.. and my sleep! I've heard about pH once or twice but I've never thought much about it. I'll look into that :D

      Delete