Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Review: Belif First Aid Deep Pore Care Mask


This is my third product review from the Korean brand "Belif." This summer when I went to Korea again a friend of mine recommended this Korean brand called "Belif." I've actually never heard of this brand before but when I went to the Lotte Duty Free floor I found a small booth selling Belif products...and impulsively bought like 5 products from them.

Description (from their official pamphlet):
  • A green clay mask with a deep cleansing effect
  • Natural French Green Clay and Raspberry Leaf Extract with pore-minimizing properties thoroughly penetrate pores to remove excess sebum and impurities
  • Use once or twice a week. After cleansing and toning skin, apply a thin layer and gently smooth over face avoiding the eye and mouth area. Leave on for 10 minutes, and rinse with lukewarm then cool water
My impression:

For those who are unfamiliar with Belif (like I was), this is a little blurb from their official pamphlet that contains information on all their products from each product line:

Belif is a "true herbal cosmetic" brand, delivering the highest value and quality based on processes and philosophy created by a UK herbalist, Duncan Napier, 150 years ago. Belief, inheriting Scottish herbalist Duncan Napier's 150 year old philosophy, has developed tailored products for today's skin concerns. Belief uses only essential ingredients, lists them all honestly and does not use flashy packaging. 

I'm a big fan of clay masks and pore cleansing masks. I've been using Origins Active Charcoal Mask for the past 7 years. It smoothes out my skin, minimizes my pores by sucking out the impurities, and instantly brightens my face. Since then, I've tried its Korean equivalent, the extremely popular Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Pore Clay Mask with scoria and green complex, but found it incomparable to Origins (I have since bought and tried out the stronger version, Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask. Will be doing a review on that once I've tried it a few more times). Etude House Wonder Pore Clay Clear Mask and Etude House Play Therapy Soft Clay Pack was just not effective at all so let's not talk about it here. The Skinfood Egg White Pore Mask helped in minimizing pores, but I found that it was more for fine tuning. I needed to use Origins to do the heavy duty stuff and then follow it with Skinfood Egg White Pore Mask to finish the little details.

Up until now, none of the Korean masks I've tried so far is comparable to Origins Active Charcoal Mask in terms of brightening my skin and clearing out the impurities. But I think I've finally found its Korean equivalent in Belif's clay mask. After rinsing the mask off, my face is instantly brighter. My skin feels smoother. The red bumps aggravated by a day's pollution are calmer. My pores appear smaller, a sign that the impurities have been absorbed and washed off with the clay mask. My face feels...clean.

The only disadvantage to Origins was that it was very drying. My face felt like it's stripped of moisture as I'm washing off the mask. But it's fine once I've fully rinsed the mask off. I've read some reviews and some people have also felt the same way. I'm not too bothered by this because it may feel dry but it's not like my skin is flaking off. Fortunately, Belif's clay mask doesn't have this problem. It's more moisturizing than Origins.

The only problem I have with Belif's clay mask is that it's in a jar. It's just plain inconvenient having to find a spatula to scoop it out and make sure the mask doesn't get contaminated. It's also easier for the mask to dry up if it's in a jar vs. if it's on a tube.

In terms of effectiveness, I think both Belif and Origins are very similar. Origins is more drying. Belif 's mask is in a jar which makes it inconvenient and may dry easier compared to a tube if you don't use it for awhile. The biggest difference is the price. Origins costs $21 for 50ml. Belif costs $28 for 50g. Considering it is more work for me to get Belif masks since they're from Korea and that it's more expensive, I don't see a reason for my to repurchase this. Like I said before, the drying part doesn't really bother me since it's only a temporary feeling.

Summary:

Same effectiveness as Origins Active Charcoal Mask but less drying
Jar formulation = inconvenient, easier to contaminate, easier to dry up
More expensive than Origins
$28 for 50g on koreadepart.com

Quality: 5/5 because it brightens, clears my face of impurities, calms my red bumps, minimizes my pores

Value: 4/5 because it's more expensive than Origins! And usually Korean products are cheaper

Repurchase? Nope, no point in trying to acquire a Korean product when it's more expensive and only equal in effectiveness to a product in North America

No comments:

Post a Comment