Friday, November 23, 2012

Review: Etude House Lip and Eye Remover (makeup remover)


Is it just me, or does this look like Lancome's Bi-Facil makeup remover? They even share the same blue/clear colors! I've used Lancome's Bi-Facil before with good results, but it was a bit expensive at $27 for 125ml. After that, I decided to try Skinfood Milk Shake Point Make-up Remover, a cheaper alternative. That one was as effective at removing my eye makeup as Lancome, except it gave me blurry vision (since it's not clear, so whatever goes in is like milk going into your eyes). So I decided to try this one out.

Description (from eBay.com):
  • Gentle yet highly effective, this double formulated lip & eye remover easily and instantly dissolves all traces of makeup for a soothing and moisturizing effect on the sensitive lip & eye area without any irritation.
My impression:

I'm basically looking for 3 things in this makeup remover: 1. Is it effective? 2. Does it give me blurry vision? 3. Does it leave my under eye moisturized?

Is it effective? Yes, it is. I need around 2-3 wipes to get all my makeup off, around the same as Lancome Bi-Facil and Skinfood Milk Shake Point Make-up Remover.

Does it give me blurry vision? No it does not. The Lancome one didn't either, I guess because both are clear bi-layer solutions whereas the Skinfood one was milky?

Does it leave my under eye moisturized? No it doesn't, at least not as well as Lancome and not as well as Skinfood. To be fair, it doesn't leave my under eye dry, but I would definitely not be comfortable with leaving my eyes after using this make-up remover without putting some eye cream. For those who immediately wash their face and put on eye cream as a routine, then that's fine. For me, I'm on the fence. I usually wash my face after but sometimes I need to do something at home but I just want to remove my eye makeup first. I don't mind putting on eye cream but it just makes me wonder if this is going to be harsh for my under eye area in the long run. This is especially important for me because I'm already starting to have fine lines!

So basically it's either use Skinfood = blurry eyes, or use this one = dry/harsh to the under eyes. Skinfood costs $10 for 160ml while this one costs $7 for 100ml so roughly $11.2 if it was 160ml.

[Edit Aug 8 2014]: I have since tried this makeup remover with my Koji Dolly Wink Mascara on and it does NOT remove my mascara well AT ALL. So I actually changed the grade below. In fact, I think of the 3 makeup removers I've tried this is the worst one at removing my mascara. I would consider purchasing Innisfree Apple Juice Lip & Eye Remover instead.

Summary:

As effective in removing makeup as Lancome and Skinfood makeup removers
No blurry vision
Leaves under eye area drier than the other two makeup removers
$7 for 100ml on eBay

Grade: 4.5/5 because it's effective, no blurry vision, but harsh/dry to my under eye :( [Edit Aug 8 2014]: 3/5 because I've found out that it sucks at removing mascara!

Value: 4/5 [Edit Aug 8 2014] 2/5 because it's more expensive than Skinfood's makeup remover AND it sucks more at removing mascara!

Repurchase? I'm on the fence on this one... [Edit Aug 8 2014]: No more on the fence for this one, it's the worst out of the 3 makeup removers I've tried so far. I'll be using Innisfree Apple Juice Lip & Eye Remover instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment