Sunday, July 6, 2014

Review: Mizon Collagen Power Firming Enriched Cream


This is the second free sample that I got from my order of Etude House Goodbye Pore Ever Pore Primer Essence. I've only tried one product before from Mizon, the Mizon All In One Snail Repair Cream when it was on sale for $1 on Gmarket. It left me with a good impression of Mizon. Long story short, it was more effective in minimizing the appearance of my scars back then than the Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Cream, which I use during my Morning Skincare Routine. Unfortunately, the Mizon All In One Snail Repair Cream did not brighten my face which is something I desperately need so I didn't continue using it after the first jar.

Description (from the sample itself):
  • Containing 54% of collagen solution
  • Rich collagen gives a superior skin firming effect while delivering deep hydration
  • Apply an appropriate amount in last step of skincare, dabbing until absorbed
My impression:

I'm always a bit weary about collagen creams. Can collagen, which are large structural proteins, really get absorbed through the skin barrier and be incorporated into your skin? And because most of these collagen creams are for prevention more than anything, nobody will really know whether or not they work until, well, they start getting droopy skin...but by then it's too late. So my criteria for collagen products is that it's got to do at least something else immediately so if, worst case scenario, it doesn't firm my skin, at least it helped me with something else. 

This cream has similar properties to what I really liked about the Mizon All In One Snail Repair Cream, a) it contains lots of the main active ingredient, 54% collagen b) it does not contain unnecessary flamboyant fragrances c) it is not super oily. This sample was also enough for two generous applications.

As for the results, well, as you know it's impossible to tell about its effectiveness in skin firming. However, I did feel that my face was well hydrated in the morning. And that it was more supple, which I guess you could call as a form of "firming." In addition, it was smooth, there were no bumps or irritation. It brightened my skin a bit, but I think that's mostly attributed to the hydrating and smoothing effects that I mentioned just above. The brightening is definitely not as evident as another collagen product that I've tried, It's Skin Power 10 Formula CO Effector with Phyto Collagen

I'm a bit conflicted with this one. I like the overnight results but I wish it could brighten a bit more or do a little something extra so I can justify using it in case the collagen skin firming becomes a dud. It's also more convenient than It's Skin Power 10 Formula CO Effector with Phyto Collagen since that's a liquid and it's easy to run off your face and takes longer to make it all absorb. 

Summary:

Face was well hydrated and supple ("firm") the next morning
Brightened my skin a little bit, but didn't really do anything extra
$16 for 50ml on eBay

Grade: 4/5 because it does hydrate well and "firms" by making my skin supple...but that just makes it sound like a hydrating cream. I wish it could give me something more

Value: 4.5/5 because 16 bucks for 50ml of 54% collagen is a pretty good deal

Repurchase? Since it's so cheap I might just buy one and try it out

5 comments:

  1. I learned from one of my bio classes (lol) that topical (or even in pill-form and whatnot) collagen actually does nothing... :P So, I don't bother with products w/ it that much anymore.

    BTW, have you tried Benton products? (I'm sure you've heard of the rave.) If so, I just wanted to know what you thought of them. If you haven't, I wanted to share the love!! I've recently jumped on the bandwagon, and I don't regret it. It's helped and smoothed out my skin a lot in terms of irritation and minor breakouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's what I read before too (regarding glucosamine for the knees?)..ugh guess maybe I should rethink about giving it a try.
      Yes I've heard about them but I haven't done much digging around this brand yet. You've found it effective too? Okay maybe I should really start getting my hands on some products. Thanks for the tip :D

      Delete
    2. Yeah! I'm currently using their Aloe line & snail-bee essence, but I wanna try the rest of their products, too~
      Honestly, I was iffy about it at first, since I've had a lot of disappointments regarding raved products (esp. for skincare). But, I'm quite pleased with the results, and my skin is the best it's ever been (which is sayin' a lot, cause summer is the worst for my face).
      I also have been using Missha's snail cream (at nighttime) and feel that it's also helped with brightening/clearing my face. ^^

      Delete
    3. After your comment I decided to read reviews and wow people are raving about it. I think raving may be an understatement the way they talk about it lol. So I just impulse bought the whole Benton snail bee line from GMarket LOL. Let's hope it works for me too so I can join the bandwagon :D

      Delete
    4. Omg... LOL... Definitely hoping it works well for you!!
      Seriously, I'm really surprised at how it's so loved, that I was a bit skeptical. :P
      Looking forward to seeing your reviews on them soon! ^^

      Delete