Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Review: The Saem Chaga Liposome Biocellulose Sheet


I brought this mask in a 10-pack two years ago in my first trip to Seoul. Back then I didn't know much about Korean cosmetics and for some reason The Saem's masks really appealed to me. So since I was in the impulsive buying mood that many Asian Korean tourists can relate to, I bought this mask along with The Saem Cell Renew Snail Mask and The Saem Chaga White Liposome Biocellulose Sheet (which is basically the whitening version of this) without much research. Two years later...I thought this mask might be all dried up but when I opened my first one it was still dripping with liquid, so yay!

Description (taken from thesaem.hk):
  • The biocellulose sheet offers skin-like comfort due to similar structure to the skin. It has greatly enhance the skincare effect and absorption.
  • Main ingredients of 100% Pure, Cave-fermented Chaga mushroom extract can enhance skin regeneration and is proved to be capable of improve wrinkle and dull skin colour problem.
  • Together with different herbs and marine plants, like Red ginseng, Oak apple, Sargasso, Seaweed fusiforme, Eucalyptus and Lady’s Mantle, 3 main functions can be provided including minimizing pores, improve skin texture and brightening the skin tone.
  • After cleansing and skin treatment with toner, take out the pouch and dispose of the upper film, then apply the film side to the face and take off pearl paper, press the mask sheet gently from the chin, the cheek and the forehead along the face line for an even skin-fit. After 25~30 minutes, gently take off the mask and pat the remains on the skin to enhance absorption.
My impression:

Wow it's been awhile since I've reviewed a mask..needed to dig out my little criteria list again! When I use a sheet mask I look for several things. First is, of course, effectiveness. Second is whether or not it can stick on my face and feel comfortable (or even better, I don't feel it being on my face after awhile). This is because I don't have the patience nor the time to sit there for 25-30 minutes. I need to be doing something while I put on this mask and if I need to fix it every minute because it's falling off my face then that's an instant fail. Third is whether or not it absorbs. If I don't feel a difference in the wetness of the sheet mask after 30 minutes.. then there is a problem with the compatibility of the mask with my face.

I remember when I was talking to The Saem salesperson he was telling me how "technically you should put a mask on everyday, but we know from a financial standpoint that's not possible." Well, since these masks are 2 years old and I have so much time during summer holidays, I decided to really use them everyday. Except for a small 4 day trip out of town after my 6th mask, I used these 10 masks once daily.

So, effectiveness. It's supposed to minimize pores, improve skin texture, and bright skin tone. Let's start with the positives. It did improve my skin texture. When I was sliding my cotton pad with the Etude House Wonder Pore Freshner toner, I noticed it was a lot smoother than I normally experience. My face also looked smoother, less stressed, more moisturized. But during this time I didn't have any acne so it's not like it smoothed out my pimples. I think I did have a red bump along the way but there was no difference after I used my mask. I didn't notice much of a difference in my pore size. And there was definitely NO brightening of skin tone. A few times I went to sleep after putting on the mask, but after I realized how UNbrightening it was, I had to top up with Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Sleeping Mask.

The mask has the exact same texture as The Saem Chaga White Liposome Biocellulose Sheet, so it was comfortable. Its folds and cuts led to a very good fit on my face and it stayed on my face throughout without much effort. After the mask, I could definitely feel that it got drier where the mask touched my face as opposed to the places where the perimeter of the mask touched my hair (because it was too big), so it absorbed well.

Summary:

Evens out skin tone, moisturizes well
No minimizing pore effect, no brightening effect
Mask adheres to skin well for great absorption
$3 a mask in Korea <--Wow I forgot how expensive this was! Sheesh the things you do when you're on holiday

Quality: 2/5 because it only does 1 out of the 3 things that it claims to do

Value: 2/5 because it's quite expensive for just evening skin tone

Repurchase? No

No comments:

Post a Comment