Friday, September 21, 2012

Review: HadaLabo Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening Lotion (aka Toner) and Milk (aka moisturizer)



I've already reviewed two other products from the HadaLabo Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening line: the Arbutin Whitening Essence and the Arbutin Whitening Mask. Since I bought the whole line, I thought I might as well write a review on this as well to give some pointers for those are considering on purchasing this.

Description (taken from sasa.com):
  • Contains the effective whitening & anti-ageing ingredient -arbutin- which penetrates deep into skin and effectively inhibits the formation of melanin, dark spots, and freckles, leaving you a bright skin tone with high translucency.
  • Vitamin C derivatives help improve uneven skin tone, and effectively improve the skin dullness.
  • Hyaluronic acid hydrates skin
  • Weak acid, no fragrance, no alcohol and no oil. 
  • Toner: After cleansing, gently pat an appropriate amount on face daily.
  • Milk: Apply AM and PM after cleansing. Dispense a proper amount onto the palm of hand and dab on the face until fully absorbed. 
My impression:

Hadalabo calls the first step after cleansing, "lotion," but in our terms it would be called a toner. The only difference is that this is not a toner where you put it on a cotton pad and wipe outwards on your face. This is something you gently pat on your face. Their "milk," is what we will call lotion or moisturizer or cream, which is after the toner step.

I wrote about how arbutin was effective for whitening my face in my Arbutin Whitening Essence post so I won't repeat that here. I've used the "lotion" and "milk" before alone and it may have whitened my skin a bit but it was barely noticeable compared to the effects of the Essence.

I have also used the "lotion" and "milk" along with the Essence, but the "milk" was too moisturizing for me and I already live in a pretty dry climate. But I do have combination/oily skin. It left my face sticky and didn't absorb very quickly. Also, I didn't notice much of a difference in whitening effect when using this "milk" along with the Essence. The toner is less moisturizing and I use that as times but it also leaves the skin quite sticky. The whole patting and dabbing on face instead of massaging it on my face also takes a bit of time and was a bit inconvenient when I was in a rush. So eventually I stopped using it.

So what's the point of this post? To say this: for those who have dry skin and/or are dedicating their whole skin routine to whitening ONLY, then this toner and moisturizer may be for you. For those who are like me who have combination/oily skin, have other concerns such as wrinkles/fine lines and need to incorporate anti-wrinkle products into their skincare regimen (which are almost always oily), then I would suggest you only use the most effective product from their line instead: the Arbutin Whitening Essence.

On a side note, even though it may not be very effective, at least it didn't break me out like Skinfood Omija Whitening Serum and Cream.

Summary:

Too moisturizing for me, left my face sticky
Didn't feel any additional whitening effects when used with the Arbutin Whitening Essence
$26 for each bottle (140ml) on eBay


Grade: 2.5/5 because it was slightly effective at whitening but left my face too moisturized and sticky (though it didn't break me out)

Value: 1.5/5 because it's pretty expensive on eBay for something that isn't too effective, I rather spend my money on the Arbutin Whitening Essence or the Arbutin Whitening Mask

Repurchase? No

1 comment: