Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Review: Skinfood Salmon Dark Circle Concealer Cream




I've been using this for a bit over a week now...and I totally forgot that I haven't written a review about this yet until I got a timely comment about my eyes today: "Wow, why are your under eye circles so crazy? Are you not sleeping enough these days?" We went onto another subject, but I really wanted to tell them that I've been sleeping a nice consistent 7ish hours everyday for the past week! Ah, genetics...

For my anti-wrinkle eye cream reviews (because I have fine lines under my eyes already sadly), here are my reviews for Skinfood Royal Honey Eye Cream, which didn't do much for me, Skinfood Gold Caviar Double Collagen Eye Serum, which is my favorite anti-aging eye cream so far, but it was so-so for the fine lines under my eyes but pretty good for the firming of my under eye area, Skinfood Platinum Grape Cell Eye Cream, which was also so-so for the fine lines but didn't firm my under eye area, and Skinfood Black Raspberry Eye Cream, which didn't do anything and had an awful smell. 
Description (taken from eng.theskinfood.com):
  • This concealer effectively hides dark circle, with salmon extract and oil.
  • After applying foundation, dispense an adequate amount and then gently tap onto dark circles around the eyes.
I ordered this in the darker color, #2. Since I don't use foundation, what I do is just put on my eye cream and then put this concealer on.

My impression:

I've been using the Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer Kit and pink concealer. Pink concealer to cover up the purple or green tones underneath then creamy concealer kit which contains the yellow-based concealer to hide the blue discoloration and brighten the skin. Yes, my dark circles require such "heavy duty" concealing. You're supposed to buy the bobbi brown eye cream that serves as a primer for this concealer but these two palettes already cost me like $50 so I'm not going to buy a $45 eye cream that, according to reviews, doesn't do much.

Maybe I'll write a review for that one day, but the main reason for that whole paragraph above is that I'll be making some comparisons of this salmon eye concealer with Bobbi Brown's creamy concealer set haha

The biggest problem I had with Bobbi Brown's was that the "creamy" concealer wasn't creamy enough. It was too dry for my eyes. I've already tried putting two different eye creams in an attempt to make it less drying, but by the time I put on the second concealer, I already feel it drying because the second concealer becomes harder to smooth on. It's still tolerable immediately after application but after 4 hours my under eyes look like a sand mine.

Skinfood's Salmon Concealer Cream is a lot more moisturizing than Bobbi Brown's "creamy" concealer. I don't need the two layers of eye cream. Immediately after application, it's more moisturizing but it doesn't look shiny or oily. But 4 hours later and even 6-8 hours later, it doesn't look dry at all. Creases are also covered though not completely.

BUT the color was too light for me. When I first bought it, I thought the color of the concealer was going to be the color shown on the surface of the concealer container (which is the case for Bobbi Brown). And then I took my hand and dabbed, the actual color was a lot lighter (right side of the jar in the picture below).



So now I was stuck with a huge jar of concealer with a color too light for me. While I was trying to think of ways to use this, I decided to try and replace this with my pink concealer since they were similar in color. That is, put on eye cream, put this on, and then put my Bobbi Brown yellow-based creamy concealer on last. And it works! Best of both worlds: my under eyes are more moisturized and my under eyes don't look like they're a lighter shade than the rest of my face :)

[Update Sept. 21, 2012]: Due to the awesome effectiveness of Skinfood Salmon Brightening Eye Cream, my dark circles have gotten lighter and now I need less of this concealer for my under eyes. As a result, the color isn't as light and blends in well with my skin because I only need one layer of this! I've written more about it on my Skinfood Salmon Brightening Eye Cream post.

Summary:

Moisturizing, under eyes don't look like a sand mine thus some creases are concealed
Can be used as a "pink" concealer to take away the purple discoloration so I can put my yellow-based concealer on top
$8 for 10g

Quality: 4/5 5/5 because it's moisturizing enough without being too shiny, takes away my creases and covers my dark circles well but also gives a natural looking shade but the color doesn't match me

Value: 5/5 because it's effective and 10g will last you...forever?

Repurchase? I probably will...if I ever run out of this.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing product! I found your post while looking for reviews on the concealer - is it still working for you? how does it lighten the darkness?! sounds too good to be true. I have very bad dark circles too... please let me know if youre still using it, and if so, if you still think it's great :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for your comment!
      Yes, I'm still using it (same jar too and I use it everyday) and it's still working for me. It's a concealer so it just conceals the dark circles. The actual cream that is effective for my dark circles is the Skinfood Salmon Brightening Eye Cream http://madaboutmyskin.blogspot.ca/2012/09/initial-thoughts-review-skinfood-salmon.html

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I've been wanting to try this concealer for forever, but I wasn't sure whether the color will be right for me. There appears to be two colors for this concealer, #1 and #2. Which one do you use? And as a comparison, which color do you use from the Bobbi Brown concealer? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there :)
      I use #2. As for Bobbi Brown, I use "Bisque" corrector, "Natural Tan" creamy concealer with "Pale Yellow" sheer finish pressed powder. Hope that helps!

      Delete