Sunday, September 2, 2012

Review: The Saem Dr. Beauty Micro-Peel Soft Gel

First post! I'm still a newbie here so please forgive me in advance.. this will be a learning process.

Brief intro/background myself: I went to Korea this summer and started getting interested in Korean skincare. While trying to find out which products were effective and worth buying, I found the reviews online really useful in helping me decide on my purchases. Some products have more reviews, some not so much. So I decided to start up this blog to share my reviews (since I bought a LOT of skincare products) and hopefully be of use to someone else! And since I just decided to do this now.. I will be doing a mass spam of blog posts this weekend.



I got 3 samples of this peel back in July when I went to Korea for vacation. I've used exfoliators before, namely Origins Modern Friction, but I've often found that they're often a bit rough on my skin (it gets pretty red afterwards) and I always felt that it didn't exfoliate my skin as much as harm it. Fortunately this summer when I was looking up reviews of other skincare products I read about chemical peels that get rid of the dirt and dead skin on your face without the physical scrubbing and micro-dermabrasion beads that contain very small beads that exfoliate without being rough on the skin. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Dr. Beauty micro-peel soft gel is a combination of both.



I actually got a few samples of a peeling gel as condiments from the hotel I stayed in Japan (unfortunately I used them up long before I decided to start this blog) which was a pure chemical peeling gel in that I could not feel any micro-dermabrasion beads. 

Description (taken from Yesstyle):
  • From Alchemist, beauty is no longer fleeting. Capture your elusive youth with Dr. Beauty Magic. 
  • Scotch pine juice peel extract, red wine leaf extract removes dead skin cells and waste with scrub grain making skin soft and smooth
  • Use 1-2 times a week
My impression:

I could definitely feel the micro-beads but I definitely didn't feel the same harsh scrubbing my skin feeling that I did when I used Origins Modern Friction. My face was a little red afterwards but that could be because I scrubbed it pretty hard myself. Afterwards I felt that my skin was evidently smoother and perhaps a little bit brighter. Compared with the chemical peeling gel I got in Japan, I felt that the micro-beads smoothed out my skin more. Brightness was similar. However, with the chemical peel it was easy to feel when the dead skin rubs off your face because the peel texture was originally pure liquid. But with Dr. Beauty micro-peel soft gel, it was hard for me to figure out when I was finished scrubbing because the texture of the micro-beads felt the same as the dead skin that rubbed off!

Summary:

It does what it's supposed to: makes skin soft and smooth without the harsh scrubbing
Hard for me to tell when dead skin is falling off because the texture of the micro-beads is the same
Smoother skin than a chemical peel without the micro-beads (at least from the Japanese sample that I used)
$16 for 160ml on eBay

Grade: 4/5 because it works and makes my skin feel smoother than any of the scrubs/chemical peels I've tried as of yet without irritation

Value: 4/5 because 160ml should last awhile but it's not very accessible on eBay

Repurchase? No because I want to try other types of peeling gels to compare. This worked for me but since this is only the second time I've used a non-scrub exfoliator so I want to try out more!

No comments:

Post a Comment