Sunday, September 2, 2012

Review: Skinfood Fresh Apple Sparkling Pore Serum




My pores have always been a problem for my skin. I have quite a bit of blackheads on my nose and pretty big, visible pores on the cheek area right beside my nose. 80% of my breakouts come from there. I was using a cleansing oil for awhile (I later learned that people with oily/combination skin should NOT use cleansing OIL...stupid me) and 100% of my breakouts came from those places with large pores. During my crazy acne phase I would have one HUGE pimple on the top of my nose every 2 months making me look as if I'm some Rudolph mascot for my school....


Having said that, I was pretty excited when I found out about this line because it said that this is for people with enlarged pores and oily skin. I bought 5 samples of this serum along with their Fresh Apple Sparling Pore Toner and their Smooth Pore Cream primer (which I will review at a later date).

Description (taken from eng.theskinfood.com):
  • A serum with fresh unripe green apple extract and carbonated water that controls sebum production and tightens pores.
  • After emulsion application, dispense an ample amount onto the palm and smooth over the entire face. 
My impression:

This is quite a mattifying product. I found it to be more mattifying and thus less moisturizing than the peach sake pore serum. As for the effect..I really didn't see much difference on my pores. The oil control was good but the "mattifying" aspect of the product was too much for me. I'm not looking for a dewy effect but I also don't want a dry dull cast. Also, I'm not sure if it's because I used too much of the product but it rubs off pretty easily if I scratch my face. And then I try to swipe it away and that subsequently would rub off more and.. yeah -_-

Skinfood has a few pore serums, so far I've tried Skinfood Peach Sake Pore Serum and this one. From those two I would prefer Skinfood Peach Sake Pore Serum more because it's more moisturizing, doesn't rub off that easily, and creates a more natural matte effect on my face. I found the oil control and pore effect of those two to be similar. Skinfood has a black egg pore serum too and I'll be ordering that soon to try out.

Summary:

Not very moisturizing, a bit too matte for me
Rubs off my skin if I start to scratch or swipe stuff off my face
Similar effect as Skinfood Peach Sake Pore Serum but I like peach sake's texture more on my face
$20 for 50ml on eBay

Grade: 2.5/5 because I don't see much happening to my pores, it rubs off when I touch my face and is too mattifying

Value: 3.5/5 because it's relatively inexpensive for 50ml but it doesn't do much

Repurchase? No. This really didn't work that well for me and I don't like the look/rubbing off it gives to my face afterwards

4 comments:

  1. That sounds bad.. I so hate it when products rub off and ruin the whole look!
    I almost wanted to bid for 10 samples on ebay yesterday, glad I eventually didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I bought 5 samples off eBay and had a hard time finishing them..could only use them on evenings and put nothing else on ^^;;

      Delete
  2. aaaa i bought 20samples of these and yesterday I tried it first time and I was really disappointed actually it was to much astringent and mattifing :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( sucks doesn't it. Oh well, at least you bought the samples and not the full version!

      Delete