Saturday, September 8, 2012

Review: Skinfood Omija Whitening Mask Sheet


While I was in Korea, I'd often buy just one mask to see if it's effective and was compatible for me. If it was, I'd go back and buy a whole pack. So I bought one of this to try while I was there.

When I use a sheet mask I look for several things. First is, of course, effectiveness. Second is whether or not it can stick on my face and feel comfortable (or even better, I don't feel it being on my face after awhile). This is because I don't have the patience nor the time to sit there for 25-30 minutes. I need to be doing something while I put on this mask and if I need to fix it every minute because it's falling off my face then that's an instant fail. Third is whether or not it absorbs. If I don't feel a difference in the wetness of the sheet mask after 30 minutes.. then there is a problem with the compatibility of the mask with my face.

Description (taken from eng.theskinfood.com):
  • A Mask Sheet that brightens skin using a patent-awarded Omija herb complex and ingredients producing skin-lightening effects.
  • Mungyeong is the name of highlands at an altitude of 300 to 700 meters, surrounded by the soback Mountains in the middle of the Baekdudaegan mountain range. Omijas from the highlands contain a large amount of lignan with potent antioxidant proporties.        
  • Align the upper mask into the round sides of the nose. Then apply it on the forehead until it completely sticks to the skin. 2. Align the lower mask on the center of the jaw. Pull it to wrap the cheeks until it completely sticks to the skin. 3. Detach them after 10 to 15 minutes.  
My impression:

The whole patent thing sounds very grand. It's a great way to advertise your product in my opinion because you think, "Wow, it must be effective if they had to patent it."

Let's look at effectiveness first: Yes, I feel my face is brightened immediately after taking it off. My face is also moisturized.

Second is adhesion to my skin. This is where I'm going to start ranting about this mask. This thing kept falling down my face. This mask is soaked in a white milky lotion instead of the translucent essence you typically see in sheet masks. I had to fix it every now and then and that meant I had to pay attention to when it was falling down my face. Does not lead to efficient multitasking, which is a must for me.

Third is absorption. Well, first of all I had to keep moving it up and down. After the whole thing, I didn't really feel like much was absorbed on my face. The mask was still pretty wet by the end and even as I was massaging the remaining stuff on my face, that took awhile to absorb too. With my other masks, my skin feels moisturized right after I take it off before I massage the leftover solution on my face. With this mask, when I took it off, I had a lot of stuff on my face but it felt like they were literally on the surface of my face and not absorbed until I massaged it in.

Lastly are miscellaneous things. The fact that it's a white milky lotion makes it a messy affair trying to put this mask on. Having to fix this mask every few minutes is also a messy affair. Finally, it feels like I'm just layering Omija watered-down Cream onto my face.. and yet I'm paying so much for it to be on a mask.

Summary:

The mask essence if a white milky lotion...feels like they just poured their Omija Cream onto the mask
Felt really bothersome on my face..could not multitask
Brightened my face afterwards but not more than any other mask that actually attaches and feels comfortable on my face
$5.5 per mask or $19 for 5 masks  on eBay

Quality: 3/5 because it brightens a bit but it's messy, slides down my face, doesn't really absorb and feels uncomfortable so I can't do something while I'm doing my mask

Value: 2/5 because if it's almost 6 bucks for a mask then I rather get Hadalabo's Shirojyun Arbutin Whitening Mask

Repurchase? No, if anything I'd rather get The Saem's Chaga Whitening Mask because it gives the same effect without the discomfort and falling down on my face

No comments:

Post a Comment